On November 7, 2018, Vélo Canada Bikes invited leaders in North America’s bicycle advocacy, planning, engineering, and bicycle manufacturing and distribution industry to a day-long series of presentations and workshops about the future of cycling in Canada.
The final workshop was a collaborative, rapid-fire, strategic planning session using Feedback Frames to combine brainstorming, with secret ballots for the group to rate each idea presented following group discussions. Those ideas with more than one dissenting vote were disqualified, leaving 3 ideas with 100% agreement, and 4 with near unanimous agreement.
The outcome was a road map to guide strategic actions in the near term that can be articulated as follows:
- Establish an Industry advisory board (known as EPIC: Enterprises Promoting Investment in Cycling) and fund a 1-yr pilot to grow joint VCB and Industry initiatives heading into next election.
- Undertake the following activities:
- Lobby government to incentivize cycling by providing rebates for purchasing bicycles + tax exemptions for consumers and industry.
- Gather industry and consumer data
- Communications with industry to build relationships with industry EPIC partners to help disseminate information and act together
- Seek government funding for schools for bikes and programs
- Explore the idea of creating Capacity Building grants administered by EPIC that connects and funds local advocacy groups, campaigns & projects.
- Explore the idea of “Give-Backs” on Employee Purchases as directed by bicycle manufacturers (Prodeal purchases pay $20 to VCB)
Thanks to Yvonne Bambrick for her leadership in this project and her amazing photos.